IBM Spectrum Protect
Enterprise-Scale Data Protection
IBM Spectrum Protect
Key Advantages of IBM Spectrum Protect
- Proven best practices
- Data replication
- Built-in cloud integration
- Comprehensive data protection
- Integration with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus
- Data lifecycle automation
- Ransomware detection
- A worldwide network of business partners
Click here to jump to more pricing!
Please Note: All Prices are Inclusive of GST
IBM Spectrum Protect™ provides scalable data protection for physical file servers, applications, and virtual environments. Organizations can scale up to manage billions of objects per backup server. They can reduce backup infrastructure costs with built-in data efficiency capabilities and the ability to migrate data to tape, public cloud services and on-premises object storage. IBM Spectrum Protect can also be a data offload target for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, providing an ability to leverage your existing investment for long-term data retention and disaster recovery.
- Multi-workload data protection lowers operational costs
- Tremendous scalability to support massive data growth
- Storage efficiency with incremental forever backups and compression
- Cyber resiliency support provides always-on data monitoring
- Data retention options including cloud and onpremises storage
- Leverage for data retention and disaster recovery
Trusted backup and recovery software solutions
It can be challenging for organizations to manage the cost, complexity and capabilities of their backup systems, especially when they collect, process and store more information than ever before. Backup administrators feel pressure of increasingly stringent compliance demands such as multi-modal delivery models, growing infrastructure complexity, flat IT budgets, and increasing regulation and compliance requirements, such as those stemming from the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
IBM Spectrum Protect™ provides scalable data protection for physical file servers, applications, and virtual environments. Organizations can scale up to manage billions of objects per backup server. They can also reduce backup infrastructure costs with built-in data efficiency capabilities and migrate data to tape, public cloud services and on-premises object storage. IBM Spectrum Protect can also be a data offload target for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, providing ability to leverage your existing investment for long-term data retention and disaster recovery.
Simplified backup administration
Backups can be managed by IBM Spectrum Protect Operations Center, VMware vSphere Client or third-party software. IBM Spectrum Protect Operations Center delivers breakthrough visibility and ease of use for backup administrators, reducing the level of expertise required. Server administrators can restore individual virtual machines from the VMware vSphere Client or launch the IBM Spectrum Protect VMware graphical user interface to schedule, monitor and perform backups.
IBM Spectrum Protect blueprints and configuration scripts are designed to help reduce deployment time and guesswork by automating deployment steps and integrating best practices for small, midsized and large environments.
Simplified solution bundles-such as IBM Spectrum Protect Suite and IBM Spectrum Storage Suite-help clients get up and running fast with easy-to-manage licensing for IBM Spectrum Protect that includes snapshots and popular backup agents for virtual environments, databases, email and enterprise resource planning.
Built-in cloud integration
Backup to the cloud or backup in the cloud is simple, secure and cost-effective with IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect container storage pools enable external cloud and object storage without additional hardware or gateways on popular cloud environments such as IBM SoftLayer, IBM Cloud Object Storage, Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), and now Microsoft Azure Blob storage. These container storage pools include in-line deduplication for efficient use of space and bandwidth as well as encryption to ensure that your data is secure.
IBM Spectrum Protect also provides Representational State Transfer (REST) application programming interfaces (APIs) and OpenStack backup drivers. Front-safe portal software, available from IBM, enables multi-tenancy, on-boarding and billing for IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Resiliency Services and IBM Business Partners offer a number of cloud-based data protection solutions for pay-as-you-go backup and recovery in the cloud.
IBM Spectrum Protect Operations Center provides an advanced visual dashboard, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features to dramatically simplify backup administration.
Reduced backup infrastructure costs
IBM Spectrum Protect can help users save up to 53 percent1 in backup infrastructure costs. Savings are typically found in storage media, backup servers, data center floor space, power and cooling. IBM Spectrum Protect high-performance deduplication, compression and incremental forever capabilities work together to reduce backup storage requirements.
IBM Spectrum Protect efficiency capabilities are enabled entirely in software. Additional hardware-based appliances aren’t needed for deduplication, encryption, network acceleration or cloud access.
For maximum cost flexibility, IBM Spectrum Protect enables a broad choice of storage options for backup data, including flash, disk, tape, object stores and public clouds.
Organizations of all sizes need advanced data-protection capabilities. Organizations with fewer than 50 managed servers or less than 100 terabytes of backup data can choose specially priced IBM Spectrum Protect entry-level solution bundles.
IBM Spectrum Protect servers can expand to manage billions of objects per server, so there is less disruption and complexity as backup workloads grow.
As data grows, IBM Spectrum Protect backups can be augmented with advanced agents and snapshots that can reduce backup and restore times for large applications and virtual machines. For example, IBM Spectrum Protect Snapshot can back up 500 VMware virtual machine images in as little as seven minutes.
Backup information can also be replicated between IBM Spectrum Protect servers, either onpremises or hosted in the cloud. IBM Spectrum Protect Extended Edition includes policy-driven remote replication, which can significantly reduce storage space requirements at primary backup sites. Organizations needing faster data transfer can enable the IBM Spectrum Protect High Speed Data Transfer option, which uses patented IBM Fast, Adaptive and Secure Protocol (IBM FASP) technology to transfer data faster than TCP over high-latency or high-loss networks.
Optimized data protection
IBM Spectrum Protect is a complete solution. It enables advanced data protection for current and next-generation environments, including cloud, virtualized and software-defined environments; core applications; and remote facilities. Data managed by IBM Spectrum Protect is easily replicated to off-site recovery facilities for safekeeping.
Backups are important, but restores are essential. IBM Spectrum Protect solutions enable fast, flexible restores from primary and remote recovery sites. IBM Spectrum Protect helps recover individual items, complex systems and entire data centers. Recovery simulators provide assurance that systems can be recovered as expected.
A self-service restore portal enables data, server and application owners to easily recover their data.
Virtualized, software-defined infrastructures
IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments and IBM Spectrum Protect Snapshot can back up and restore data residing in virtual, software-defined environments without negatively impacting applications and operations that share the underlying physical resources. IBM offers a choice in data protection options, including incremental “forever” backups and hardwareassisted snapshots.
Flexible recovery options in IBM Spectrum Protect are designed to simplify common restore requests, including:
- Self-service restore portal, initially for VMware data
- Individual item, database, volume-level, and data store restores from snapshots
- Near-instant access to backup data for Microsoft Windows and Linux Intel-based servers and Windows workstations
- Snapshot copying, browsing and recovery
- Automatic restores from an alternate backup server, if the primary backup server is unavailable
- Simplified disaster-recovery audits, recovery simulators and guided recovery from disasters
IBM Spectrum Protect Extended Edition enables backup data to be replicated on an incremental, scheduled or per-client basis from one IBM Spectrum Protect server to another. Replication is policy-driven, so on-site and off-site retention policies can be different. Plus, replication can be performed with deduplicated data, which improves network efficiency. It can also be scheduled during relatively quiet times to help reduce the impact on production applications.
In replicated environments, a remote IBM Spectrum Protect server can be used as a hot standby. Alternatively, two active IBM Spectrum Protect servers can replicate to each other. A single replication target can be used to consolidate data from multiple active IBM Spectrum Protect backup servers.
Lower operational cost by unifying and simplifying data protection for physical file servers, virtual environments, and a wide-range of applications.
Support massive data growth with an IBM Spectrum Protect server’s ability to manage up to 4 petabytes of client data and ingest up to 100 terabytes of new and changed client data per day.
Drive exceptional storage efficiency with incremental forever backups, compression, and deduplication.
Closely monitor your storage environment, two key authorization for administrator commands, quickly detect signs of a ransomware attack, and receive proactive security notifications.
Cost-effective data retention
Meet your price and performance objectives with a wide choice of cloud and on-premises storage options, including AWS S3 Intelligent-Tiering support for inactive data.
Leverage your investment
IBM Spectrum Protect Plus customers can leverage IBM Spectrum Protect for long-term data retention and disaster recovery.
Advantages of IBM Data Protection for Virtual Machines:
|Auto-discovery of new virtual machines||Helps ensure that all data in the virtualized environment is protected|
|Self-service restore portal||Enables data, server and application owners to easily recover their data|
|Item-level recovery||Enables fast recovery of individual files, Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, emails and Microsoft SQL Server databases|
|Application-consistent backup and recovery||Helps ensure complete application backups and simplifies restore processes|
|Copy management||Enables a single virtual-machine snapshot to be used for data recovery, testing, development, etc.|
|Integration with hardware snapshots||Enables faster snapshots with less impact on application performance|
|Incremental forever backups||Reduces the need for extra backup system capacity|
|Data deduplication||Enables high-performance space reduction on the virtual machine or backup server|
|Nondisruptive, single-pass backups||Helps increase application performance during backups|
|Agentless support||Helps simplify deployment|
|Tape support||Helps reduce costs for long-term storage|
|Instant access/instant restore||Helps reduce the user impact during virtual machine restores|
|Single-pass, full datastore recovery||Provides near-instant recovery of an entire datastore, including all virtual machines*|
* Near-instant recovery for virtual machines is enabled by IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments; near-instant recovery for Windows desktops and laptops is enabled by IBM Spectrum Protect for Workstations.
IBM integration with VMware tools and APIs
|VMware vSphere Web Client support||Allows VMware administrators to easily perform data protection and recovery operations, powered by IBM Spectrum Protect, and launched within the familiar vSphere interface|
|VMware vSphere Web Client Native HTML5 support||Enables VMware administrators to use a consistent UI built on new VMware Clarity UI standards, cross-browser and cross-platform independent and with no browser plug-ins to install/manage|
|VMware vCenter integration||Enables VMware administrators to easily configure, schedule, and monitor backups and snapshots|
|VMware vStorage API support||Helps reduce compute, storage and network overhead|
Backup server components
- IBM Spectrum Protect - Automates data backup and restore functions, supports a broad range of platforms and storage devices, reduces the data storage footprint and maintains a catalog of protected data
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus - Provides near-instant recovery, replication, reuse, and self-service for virtual machines, databases, and applications in hybrid multicloud environments
- IBM Spectrum Protect Extended Edition - Adds disaster-recovery management, node replication, network data management protocol (NDMP) backup and large tape library support
- IBM Spectrum Protect Operations Center - Provides an at-a-glance view of the IBM Spectrum Protect environment, which simplifies reporting and enables faster problem resolution; included with IBM Spectrum Protect
- IBM Spectrum Protect High Speed Data Transfer - Improves throughput over high latency, high-packet-loss wide area networks • IBM Spectrum Protect for Data Retention - Enables long-term record retention with flexible hold and release processing
- IBM Spectrum Protect for SAN - Enables SAN-attached IBM Spectrum Protect servers and user systems to use Fibre Channel connections to storage systems for data backup
- Front-safe Cloud Portal - Enables multi-tenancy, on-boarding, and billing for IBM Spectrum Protect
Backup agent for virtual environments and core applications
Enables high-performance, online backups and flexible restores, which can increase application availability
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments - Works with VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V virtual servers and hosted applications
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Mail - Works with IBM Domino and Microsoft Exchange
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Databases - Works with Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server; IBM DB2 and IBM Informix include IBM Spectrum Protect backup agents
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Enterprise Resource Planning - Works with SAP and SAP HANA
- DocAve Backup and Restore for Microsoft SharePoint Backup - Works with Microsoft SharePoint
- OpenStack IBM Tivoli Storage Manager backup driver-Included in OpenStack distribution
- IBM Spectrum Protect Snapshot - Enables application-aware, virtual machine-aware, hardware-assisted snapshot backup and recovery management for most major IBM and non-IBM storage systems
- Rocket Device Adapter Pack for IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager - Expands IBM Spectrum Protect Snapshot platform support to include several EMC, Hitachi and HP storage devices and NetApp clusters connected to UNIX servers
Bare machine recovery and recovery simulators
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for System Backup and Recovery - Offers a comprehensive system backup, restore and reinstallation tool with bare-metal restore capabilities for IBM AIX
- Cristie Bare Machine Recovery software for Tivoli Storage Manager, TBMR - Provides rapid recovery from IBM Spectrum Protect backups, without having to perform any other backup of the operating system files
- Recovery Simulator for TBMR - Tests whether a machine can be successfully recovered from backups created by Cristie TBMR and IBM Spectrum Protect
- Recovery Simulator for Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments - Tests whether a machine can be successfully recovered from backups created by Cristie TBMR and IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments
Continuous data protection
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Workstations - Provides continuous, automated backup of desktop and laptop workstations running Windows operating systems
Hierarchical space management (HSM)
Enables policy-based migration of inactive data to tape, leaving the directory structure on disk so users don’t have to change the way they access their files
- IBM Spectrum Protect HSM for Windows - Works with Windows data
- IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management - Works with AIX and Linux data
|IBM Spectrum Protect Suite - Front End||IBM Spectrum Protect Suite|
|IBM Spectrum Protect||Extended Edition||Extended Edition|
|IBM Spectrum Protect Snapshot|
|IBM Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments|
|IBM Spectrum Protect for Mail|
|IBM Spectrum Protect for Databases|
|IBM Spectrum Protect for Enterprise Resource Planning|
|IBM Spectrum Protect backup-archive client for file systems|
|IBM Spectrum Protect for Storage Area Networks|
|IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management|
|IBM Spectrum Protect Plus|
|IBM ProtecTIER option|
|IBM Cloud Object Storage|
|Per capacity||License by capacity protected by the products in the bundle||License by capacity used for managed backup data, measured after deduplication and other efficiency features are used|
|Entry Offerings (some restrictions apply)|
|IBM Spectrum Protect Suite Entry - Front End||IBM Spectrum Protect Suite Entry|
|Capacity||100 TB of managed backup data, measured by capacity protected by the products in the bundle||100 TB of managed backup data, measured after deduplication and other efficiency features are used|
Download the IBM Spectrum Protect Datasheet (.PDF)
- All Prices are Inclusive of GST
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.